Linda’s fear of social contact has tremendously debilitated her life since it’s onset. She would not speak in front of people nor would she look anyone in the eye. She is afraid of going out of her house because she thinks that people will mock her. She is worried that they do not like her and the way she is. Seeing how this problem has incapacitated my friend Linda, I made a decision to convince her to read a book by Dr. Amen entitled Change Your Brain, Change Your Life. I could have easily given her a copy of the book, but I thought otherwise. Linda was already frustrated because of her irrational beliefs about people insulting her, presenting the book to her would have given her more reasons to be perturbed.
To make Linda read, I decided to “accidentally” leave my copy of the book behind after one of my visits with her. I knew that she was going to read it because of her passion for books. The week after, I went to her house again to retrieve the book I also set a new motto for myself Change Brain Change Life. To my pleasant surprise, I saw that she had made notes on some of the things that Dr. Amen wrote about in his book.
• The way the brain works affects the thoughts and emotions of people. Certain brain systems are responsible for specific problems such as depression, impulsiveness, anxiety and anger. By using particular yet simple brain prescriptions such as cognitive exercises and nutrition medication, brain function can be enhanced and modified to give a person the power to overcome his problems.
• Experiencing anxiety and panic? Breathe! Breathing calms a person’s nerves. It loosens the tightness that he experiences in his chest during the course of panic.
• Depressed? Exterminate ANTs (automatic negative thoughts)! A person cannot always help but think negatively about his life whenever things go wrong. His negative thoughts will depress him. It is essential then for him to stop his negative thoughts because of their ill effects on his life.
• Diets are not just for those who want to trim down on extra pounds. A person can avail of nutrients that calm anger and discover food that he can eat when hot rage gets the best of him.
• When a person is worried, he should get a pen and paper and write these worries away. Writing is cathartic because it allows the individual to see in physical form how his worries are affecting his life. It also gives him the chance to gain insight into his thoughts and concerns.
If you change your brain, you can change your life! The indispensable function of this three pound organ is not just limited to controlling your voluntary and involuntary functions. The brain can also alter the course of your life. You will have to realize that your problem with anxiety, emotions and relationships may be a matter of brain structure and the next thing you must realize is that you’re not glued to the brain you’re born with. If brain structures are causing you hullabaloos, the very same brain structures can also give you the remedy. Remember, when your brain isn’t working right, you also can’t work right.
How can changing your brain, change your life? That’s very simple. It’s cognitive restructuring. Through it you will see that life is what you make it. You can even be truly happy if you really want to. Try it, change brain change life is a motto you will want to adapt! I have witnessed it work for Linda, I’m sure it will also work for you!
Discover Other Great Things on Our Website
- Quick access to the links mentioned in the article above and more!
- Change brain change life glossary definition
- ALL our Power of Subconscious Mind related articles