Jenn has never really liked making plans. Being a spontaneous person, she hates the idea of setting objectives for the future. To her, everything should be done and taken in the here and now. Then Jenn hit a bump in the map of her life. She lost her job due to her company’s downsizing and found herself back in the pool of unemployed. For the second time in her life (the first being her college days), she had to set her goals straight in order to get back on track.
If you are like Jenn, then you also need to set your goals in order for you to move ahead in life. But how do you set your goals and achieve them? The following bulleted points could help you.
• Setting goals does not immediately mean that you will get results. They can disappear like long forgotten memories – particularly if you don’t do anything with them.
• Keep that fire burning! You have to keep your goals in mind and put them to heart. You don’t have to think of them 24/7 but you have to be constantly reminded of them so that you don’t lose track of what you are supposed to do.
• You can have your own vision board or board of dreams or whatever it is that you would like to call your shrine of the things that you want to achieve. Why settle for a mediocre writing list that could be so boring and so uninspiring? You should release your creative energies! Perhaps you like photo mosaic, if so then why not collect photos of your dreams and turn them into your portrait? Images are usually a great source of inspiration.
• You should focus on your goals. Set your goals sharp, definite and detailed. That way, you have an inkling regarding your next step.
• Set a time frame for your goals. In this manner, you do not become lax or forgetful. As a bonus, the elation that you will experience once you achieve something within your designated time frame will provide you with more motivation for pursuing your other goals.
• Have measurable goals. Your goals must be attainable. Don’t make them too small that they end up restricting your potential or too big that they end up making you feel that you are not progressing.
• Measure your progress. When you set your goals, you have to realize that it is essential for you to be able to measure your progress as this would keep you going in the right direction.
• Include inspirational messages / statements / thinking and positive words when you set your goals.
• Prioritize. It is natural for you to have many objectives, many dreams and many desires. However, try to avoid being overwhelmed by them and prioritize those that you deem as more important. Remember, it takes one step at a time to get to the finish line.
• Carry with you a written reminder of your goals so as to crystallize them. This could be a simple note stored in your blackberry or in your cellular phone. However way you want to write them down, carry your list with you so that they appear as real as they could.
• Set your goals realistically. This means you should be able to achieve your goals through your skills and capabilities. Dream about things that are plausible. You can’t dream of becoming the next Angelina Jolie if you don’t know the first thing about acting.
• Finally, if you fail in meeting your goals, don’t lose heart! Just learn from that experience! The key to success is learning from failure.
The above is basically a summary of the many ideas that one could use when setting goals and achieving them. If you are in need of the aforementioned suggestions then, just remember that to set your goals is equal to making that important choice in your life. Keep in mind that when you set your goals, you set your life.
Discover Other Great Things on Our Website
- Quick access to the links mentioned in the article above and more!
- Examples of SMART Goals – How do you make goals SMART?
- Music therapy – how do you set your goals music
- ALL our Goal Setting related articles